Slurry Investment Grants from the Government

DEFRA and the RPA have published updated guidance on the Slurry Investment Grant.  Understandably the Government is keen to ensure that slurry produced in the process of pig, beef and dairy and dairy farming is stored and used safely and efficiently to maximise crop nutrition whilst minimising nutrient losses into the environment.  The grant is available to help replace, build new or expand existing slurry stores to provide 6 months storage. You need to fit all grant funded stores with an impermeable cover, unless you treat slurry through acidification.

The new guidance covers who can apply, what the grants are for, how much money can be applied for and how to apply.  Priority will be given in the first round to those having the largest environmental impact especially those located near protected sites and will identify priority locations before opening applications.  Further information is to be published in Summer 2002 with applications to be made in Autumn 2022.

Land owning and tenant farmers in the pig, beef and dairy trade can apply, and for those not receiving a grant in the first round, there will be future opportunities to apply again. Contractors, poultry or arable only and horticultural growers are not eligible for the grants.  Those who already have 6 months of ‘fit for purpose’ slurry storage are also not eligible.  You could get a 50% grant towards the cost of a range of slurry store types, impermeable covers and extra equipment like pumps, pipes and safety equipment.  You can build more than 6 months storage, but the grant will only contribute to 6 months. RPA will check this at full application.

You can work out how much slurry storage you need using the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (AHDB) slurry wizard at

If you need further help, Eldnar Consultancy have their own ‘slurry wizard’, as Eleni did many of these applications for dairy farms as a result of the initial NVZ storage requirements whilst working at Staffordshire County Farms.  This is included calculations right through to planning permission and construction as well as odour management plans.  With this experience and given that planning permission for such facilities will likely be needed who better to help you than a team from a rural background (Harper Adams and Royal Agricultural University graduates) who have specifically qualified through rural pathways as well as being a qualified chartered town planner – you can book a mini-chat through the contact page!